- Register with MFA so that you can be reached during an emergency or crisis.
- Check the visa requirements of countries of your destination with your travel agent or the relevant foreign embassy in Kenya.
- Purchase comprehensive travel insurance which includes medical evacuation in case of any unexpected emergencies.
- Check the health and vaccination requirements for your destination(s).
- Carry your doctor’s medical prescription if you have to carry any medication, as you may need to show this at the customs checkpoint(s).
- Check the customs regulations concerning import and export of items to the countries you are travelling to. Some countries require travellers to declare items that are under their quarantine restrictions at the entry checkpoint.
- Read up on your destination’s local news and regulations. Get information from experienced travellers, travel agents, tourist information offices and airlines.
- Ensure that your passport has at least 6 months’ validity.
- Make or save copies of your important documents (e.g. identity card, passport data page, credit cards, and travellers’ cheques) in case you lose any of them. Leave copies with your family and friends as a contingency.
- Tell your friends and family where you are going and how to contact you.
- Find out the nearest Kenya Mission Abroad to you.
- Apply for an International Driving Licence if you plan to drive overseas.
- Have valid tickets to return home.
- Carry adequate funds for your stay.
After travel abroad
Please remember the following important tips while abroad:
- Always take care of your personal safety.
- Obey the laws and respect the local customs of the countries you are visiting.
- Keep abreast of the local news.
- Keep your passport and identity card separate to minimise the risk of losing both your identity documents.
- Do not carry too much cash and valuables.
- Do not leave your valuables unattended.
- Never carry packages through customs on behalf of other people.
- Check the customs regulations concerning import and export of items for the countries you are visiting. Some countries require travellers to declare items that are under their quarantine restrictions at the entry checkpoint.
- Keep your family and friends informed of your whereabouts and activities.
- Register with MFA or the Kenya Mission if you have not done so.
- Find out where the nearest Kenya Mission Abroad is to you.